Since I started reading blog posts by the hundreds every day (ok, skimming most of them! Thank goodness for Google Reader!), I have been exposed to more movie news and rumors than I ever had before. Did they always release so many new trailers, animated movie posters and featurettes for new movies (such as the crazy amount of ‘new’ promo materials for John Carter) and I’ve just missed it because I tend not to watch TV, or is this new and it just happens to coincide with my new blog-article addiction?
In any case, every day it seems I’m seeing some rumor or news item about an interesting new movie/movie idea. Many of these are remakes of things dear to me from my past, either movies or books. Here I will compile the top 10 movies I’d love to see on the big screen, inspired by rumors or actual news of production on the properties.
10. After Earth - M. Night Shyamalan’s new SciFi movie. I love a good far future/post apocalyptic scifi film, but I’m wary of anything made by M. Night Shamalamadingdong these days.
9. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles- not much info here. I loved the original cartoon series and enjoyed the few comics I read. The original “live action” films were hokey, but reboots of childhood favorites don’t have a great track record either…
8. John Carter - When i first heard of this movie based on the classic pulp fiction novels, I was very excited. I saw the first trailers and it looked pretty good. But I’m nervous that the Writer/Director thought girls would be uninterested in a movie set in space. WTF?
7. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter - I haven’t read the book, or any of the books done in the same genre/style (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, anyone?), but my husband has, and he’s a fan. His excitement for this film is contagious, and it has a great new trailer!
5. Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson – I guess there are two Beauty and the Beast films in the pipeline – fairytale movies are “in” right now. But this one by Guillermo del Toro will star the gorgeous Emma Watson, and that alone puts it on my watchlist. Also, it’s Guillermo del Toro, which means it will be visceral and dark and well worth watching!
3. Transformers 4 – the first live-action movie was OK; the second was confusing and sucked, frankly. The third blew me away. I’m excited that there will be a 4th film, and I’m glad that Michael Bay will direct, but the idea that it may be a “reboot” bothers me.
2. Magic Kingdom for Sale – Sold! – Terry Brooks’ mid-80′s fantasy series is rumored to be brought to the big screen produced by Akiva Goldsman. I am a huge fan of these books about a grieving lawyer who gives up his safe but unsatisfying career in our world and purchases a fairytale kingdom complete with elves, wizards, demons and fantastic adventures, only to find out that it will take more than a fat wallet to to be the King Landover desperately needs. I really, really hope this book and its sequels make it to the big screen!
1. The Hunger Games – when promotion for this film/series began, I’d never heard of the books. They were recommended to me more than once afterwards, and I broke down and read the trilogy in the span of a few weeks. I dislike the Katniss character very much, but I ended up liking the series very well despite that. One of the recent TV trailers had me misting up with emotion all because of a particular 4-note musical sequence at the end. I am very much looking forward to the big-screen adaptation of this story!
Which of these movies are you most looking forward to? Or, if your movie isn’t on the list, tell me, maybe I’ve somehow missed it!